hello

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Effect of Buddhism

I think that I am affected by Buddhism to a lot of things. For example, I say "Itadakimasu", "Arigato", and "Gochisousama" These words come from Buddhism. "Itadakimasu" and " Gochisousama" are difficult to translate into English, but we can translate "Arigato" into English, "Thank you". However It seems that "Arigato" is not equal to "Thank you" truly. "Arigato" means that I could experience things that hardly happened, so too good, and appreciating to that. In fact, both "Itadakimasu" and "Gochisousama" also mean to appreciate. Threfore I say "Itadakimasu", "Arigato", and " Gochisousama" to appreciate people and foods.

6 Comments:

Blogger haveagoodday said...

hi! this is my first time to write coments on your blog. ive never deeply thought of those words from buddhism. i always just said them and also just thought i was supposed to say them in regular life. last class was a really great oppotunity for us to know our relision and culture. we should be proud of belonging to buddhism.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Rolf said...

Interesting. I think a lot of times we don't think much about how many of the words or phrases we say come from religion. In America, for example, most people say "bless you" when some one sneezes, but they don't actually think about how they are wishing a blessing upon that person. It's just something you say.

9:55 PM  
Blogger HJU Teacher said...

I agree with Rolf's comments. Very good discussion!

2:53 PM  
Blogger sky blue said...

I think that we are affected naturally by Buddhism from your blog. We shouldn't forget the feeling of gratitude for food and people.

4:38 PM  
Blogger yellow dress said...

I found that I know a little of our own religion, but we conduct a lot of things which came from Buddism. As sky blue-san said, I also think it is important to thank for food and people, too.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Winnie the Pooh said...

I have the same idea! It is very importamt to appreciate people and foods. I think we should always have a grateful heart, too.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home